Sunday, December 8, 2013

My love of food... And money

So guys... I love food. And I also love money. As of late, the husband and I have been trying to find a way where we can have our food...and eat it too. Haha. So I decided we should try making a two week meal plan and sticking to it. Making a grocery list to an exact T of what we would need for the next two weeks. After I added everything up, we figured we would roughly save around 200$ per month. When we don't have a certain ingredient for a dinner we want, we get lazy and decide to just go grab subway or a pizza for ten bucks. It sounds cheap, right? But, ten bucks, is ten bucks. And we would do this probably two or three times a week! It adds up quick! We were spending way too much money on eating out and groceries. So, we opted for our two week meal plan idea.

Any who, The only downfall to this plan... Taking time to plan 14 meals and write a grocery list. It literally took me a whole morning to do it. But it definitely paid off. We stuck to our meal plan, and we've only ate out once in the last two weeks. And it was for a group date we went on to the temple... So it's ok :)

I forgot how fun it is to cook! And follow new recipes. I tried a few new ones I had pinned on Pinterest. My two favorites: 
Crock pot Broccoli and cheese soup-
    Tyler wanted to add a few potatoes, so we did. Fabulous idear :)

And chicken Parmesan | the Alfredo was a recipe I use from Our Best Bites cook book.

I just started my grocery list and meal plan for the next two weeks. Street tacos is definitely a must have for all meal plans. My sister is the one to thank for this recipe. It is delish. I used to use chicken, but pork is less hassle. Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it :)

Pork roast 
Raw tortillas 
Cheese
Chopped Romaine Lettuce
Homemade guac *
Sour cream
Tomatoes
Olives
1 cup rice
1 can black beans
1 big can green enchilada sauce 
1 can el Pato tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1-2 cups brown sugar

Start the pot roast in a crock pot for about 6-7 hours on low ahead of time before you plan to eat. After 5 hours, you should be able to pull it apart with a fork. Add the enchilada sauce, el Pato, diced tomatoes and brown sugar. Pork is done!

Cook 1 cup of rice in a rice cooker and once it's cooked, stir in the black beans (drained and rinsed) the rice will hear the beans enough after about 5-10 minutes.

Cook your tortillas and add whatever toppings you want! Home made guacamole is a must have for ours... It's a deal breaker if we don't have any. I have made this meal for many friends in the last, and every time I do they ask for the recipe. You can't go wrong! 


Here's to planning ahead and saving money! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment